Professional Education Course
Wall Street on West Peachtree
This course is not currently scheduled. To be added to our email list, please complete this form and select your program area of interest.
This one-week day camp for high school students has four components: financial literacy and investing for growth, hedging and trading. Financial literacy includes the basics of personal finance, including planning, taxes, debt avoidance and wealth building. The investing portion introduces the student to investing strategies that have worked over time. The hedging module introduces the student to derivative securities and how those securities have been used for speculation or protection. Finally, the trading portion introduces the student to the mechanics of trading stocks, bonds and other securities. The student is taught how to read charts, how to place market or limit orders, how to set up stop losses, and how the major markets operate. The students will spend the week constructing and analyzing their own portfolios using state-of-the-art analysis and trading tools.
Who Should Attend
This course is targeted to rising juniors and seniors, but all high school students are welcome to attend. Registrants are accepted on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVED basis, but we reserve the right to reject applicants who do not have good grades and or good references.
How You Will Benefit
The overall goal is to provide the high school students with a portfolio of basic money management and investing tools that will equip them to make strong financial decisions and achieve long-term financial success.
The world of finance can be intimidating. It can even be dangerous. A lack of basic financial literacy often leads to severe problems such as bankruptcy and foreclosures.
After taking this class, the student will be aware of the common pitfalls that lead to financial disaster and will be equipped to make better decisions.
What Is Covered
- Discover best practices in personal finance
- Become proficient with a trading platform to buy and sell securities
- Understand the difference between trading and investing
- Discover investment strategies that have been successful in the past
- Understand how to use puts, calls, futures and forwards for protection or speculation
- Understand how currency risk may affect your portfolio performance
- Discover the value that traders add to the investment process by a hands-on simulation
- Understand the importance of diversification and the benefits of ETFs and Mutual funds
- Understand how institutional investors and hedge funds operate
- Discover how to use bonds as an integral part of a diversified portfolio
- Measure your success using industry-standard performance measures.
- Develop presentation skills and critical thinking skills as you build and analyze your portfolio
Online resources only. The student may print out the resources if they so choose.
The course fee includes a daily lunch voucher.
- You Have to Do THIS Before You Ever Invest (Personal Finance)
- Introduction to Investing and Trading Platforms
- Proven Investment Strategies
- Hedging Your Investments
- Trading Foreign Currencies
- Stock Market Trading Simulations
- Invest Like a Pro: Exchange Traded Funds
- Bonds: More exciting Than You Can Imagine
- Capturing Alpha: Are You Lucky or Skilled?
- Student Presentations