Professional Education Course
Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction Industry
|Course Title: Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction Industry|
|Program ID: OTI 500P||Subject: Safety & Health Training|
Important Course Information
APPLY FOR OTI 500
OSHA requires people interested in attending the OTI 500 course to submit proof they have attended the OTI 510 (or OTI 500) course by submitting the prerequisite verification form before they will be approved to register. Approved submissions will be notified via email within 7 days.
NOTE: Provisional approval is not available. Applicants must comply with instructions stated on the prerequisite verification form.
OTI 500 Course Schedule
Course Fees: $795 course, $35 book (29 CFR 1926)
- April 28-May 2, 2014 - Georgia Tech Global Learning Center (Atlanta, GA) - CRN 14006
- June 16-20, 2014 - Greenville Technical College (Greenville, SC) - CRN 14133
- June 23-27, 2014 - Georgia Tech Global Learning Center (Atlanta, GA) - CRN 14007
- Aug 18-22, 2014 - Georgia Tech Global Learning Center (Atlanta, GA) - CRN 14008
- Sept 15-19, 2014 - Georgia Tech Savannah (Savannah, GA) - CRN 14009
- Oct 20-24, 2014 - Georgia Tech Global Learning Center (Atlanta, GA) - CRN 14010
- Dec 8-12, 2014 - Georgia Tech Global Learning Center (Atlanta, GA) - CRN 14011
Participants must present photo identification upon course check-in and onsite registration. The Georgia Tech OSHA Training Institute Education Center will verify the identity of each individual attending an OTI course.
Use OSHA standards to learn effective training techniques with a special emphasis on the most hazardous areas in construction. This course is for private- and public-sector workers interested in developing safety and health programs in construction. Successfully complete the course and pass a multiple-choice test to become an outreach trainer, authorized to conduct both 10- and 30-hour construction courses. Construction industry outreach trainers must take OTI 502 every four years to maintain their status as an outreach trainer.
How You Will Benefit
Learn effective instructional approaches and the use of visual aids/handouts
Define construction terms found in OSHA standards
Present effective safety and health training programs in accordance with OSHA's construction standards, regulations, and guidelines
Identify hazards that occur in the construction industry and determine appropriate standards
Prepare reports citing conditions found
Identify methods to correct hazards
What Is Covered
- Training techniques
- Hazard communication
- Health hazards and PPE
- Walking and working surfaces
- Scaffolding and trenching
- Outreach training program
- Cranes and rigging
- Ladders and stairways
- Tools and welding
- Confined space entry
- Concrete construction
- Steel erection
- OSHA recordkeeping
- OSHA standards and safety programs
- OSHA inspections, targeting, penalties
All students are required to bring a current copy of OSHA's 29 CFR 1926 Construction Safety Standard is required for the course. If you already have a copy, bring it with you to class. If you don't have a current copy you may order one at time of registration.
It is recommended that you bring a laptop to class to facilitate the preparation and delivery of your class presentation.
Participants are required to have both:
- Five years of construction safety experience (a college degree in occupational safety and health, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation, in the applicable training area may be substituted for two years of experience) AND
- OTI 510 course completion
All attendees are required to do the following before they will be eligible to register:
- Fill out the OTI 500 Prerequisite Verification Form
Email completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Current copy of your resume
- Proof you have completed OTI 510 course (i.e. course certificate)
- After your information has been reviewed and approved, you will be contacted via email with instructions how to register.
You will not be eligible to register until the steps above have been completed and you have been notified you are approved to register.
NOTE: If your Outreach Trainer status has been expired for more than 10 years, you will be required to attend OTI 510: Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry and meet the five-year experience requirement. You will then be required to retake the OTI 500.
When you register, you may choose to purchase a parking pass for an additional fee (Atlanta offerings only). The pass is valid for parking in the Georgia Tech Global Learning Center parking deck.
This course is:
- a requirement for the Construction Safety and Health Certificate.