Professional Education Course
Pre-planning Strategy for Health and Humanitarian Organizations
This course is not currently scheduled. To be added to our email list, please complete this form and select your program area of interest.
Important Course Information
This course is offered in a blended format with content presented both online and face-to-face.
View Online Pre-Course Activities
View Onsite Classroom Activities
Relief requirements for public health and humanitarian events are in general both unknown in size and type, and are affected by dynamic and hard to measure factors such as geographic location, local economy, infrastructure, social and political conditions, etc. Preparing for long-term development and response to emergent events often involves uncertainty in timing, scope, or scale. Pre-planning for these situations requires an understanding of forecasting, distribution network design, and strategies for managing the uncertainty. This course will examine methods and models for making pre-planning decisions and explore the significant value that is obtained through informed decision-making in advance of an unpredictable event.
Who Should Attend
- Tactical & strategic members of Non-governmental organizations
- Private corporations involved in the humanitarian relief efforts
- US Federal government employees
- US State or local government employees
- Humanitarian Foundation members
- TITLES: Program Managers, Director of Field Operations, Disaster Relief Manager, Director of Logistics & Inventory, Logistics Officers
How You Will Benefit
- Develop and apply analytical models to aid in distribution and routing decisions under uncertain conditions
- Identify and apply the appropriate forecasting technique considering characteristics such as seasonality and trends.
- Provide immediate impact to their organization through learnings gained from applied and real-world case studies
- Learn to bring NGOs, businesses, and/or government entities together to enhance collaboration, cooperation, and communication
- Discover current trends and procedures to help their organizations and team members get ahead and stay ahead of the curve
- Build a critical knowledge base to make tactical decisions around inventory, routing, and distribution
- Deliver best-practices to measure and evaluate outcomes of humanitarian relief efforts
- Ultimately transform the humanitarian sector with increased capacity to participate in planning and strategic decision-making for effective supply chain management
- Participants receive readings, case studies, spreadsheet files, and lecture slides.
- Participants should each bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel and wi-fi capability.
|PRE-COURSE ACTIVITIES (Conducted online)|
|Distribution Network Design||2 hours|
|Forecasting and Prepositioning||2 hours|
|Day 1:||Overview of Humanitarian Logistics|
|Distribution and Network Design|
Expected time for Pre-Course Activities total: 4 hours
NOTE: Pre-course activities will conducted online using an online learning management system. Access instructions will be provided to registrants when details become available.
This course is:
- a requirement for the Health and Humanitarian Logistics Certificate.