A Gentle Introduction to Probability
- Course Content
- Requirements & Materials
COURSE ID: DL 0053M
Contact for course-related questionsDavid Goldsman, Ph.D.
A Gentle Introduction to Probability
This course provides an introduction to basic probability concepts. Our emphasis is on applications in science and engineering, with the goal of enhancing modeling and analysis skills for a variety of real-world problems.
In order to make the course completely self-contained (and to bring back long-lost memories), we’ll start off with bootcamp lessons to review concepts from set theory and calculus. We’ll then discuss the probability axioms that serve as the basis for all of our subsequent work – what makes probability tick? That discussion will give us the tools to study elementary probability counting rules, including permutations and combinations. We’ll use these rules to work on various cool applications, including poker probability calculations and baseball line-ups!
The next venues on our tour are the concepts of independence and conditional probability, which allow us to see how the probabilities of different events are related to each other, and how new information can be used to update probabilities. The course culminates in a discussion of Bayes Rule and its various interesting consequences related to probability updates.
COURSE INTRODUCTION AND BOOTCAMPS
GETTING STARTED WITH PROBABILITY
- Introductory knowledge of set theory and basic calculus
- Experience in Excel or similar application
- Internet connection (DSL, LAN, or cable connection desirable)
- Adobe Acrobat PDF reader (to download for free, visit get.adobe.com/reader/)
- R statistical software (to download for free, visit cran.r-project.org) (or similar statistics packages such as Minitab, JMP, SAS, etc.)
- Excel (or equivalent)
- Bonus software: Any “real,” high-level language such as MATLAB, Python, etc.
- All content and course materials available online
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for anyone who needs the tools to understand data, science, philosophy, engineering, economics, and finance.
What You Will Learn
- Bootcamp lessons based on set theory and calculus
- How to identify underlying probability axioms
- Elementary probability counting rules, including permutations and combinations
- The concepts of independence and conditional probability
- How to update probabilities via Bayes Rule
How You Will Benefit
- Understand underlying probability axioms.
- Become familiar with the concepts of independence and conditional probability.
Taught by Experts in the Field
Grow Your Professional Network
The course schedule was well-structured with a mix of lectures, class discussions, and hands-on exercises led by knowledgeable and engaging instructors.
The Georgia Tech Global Learning Center and Georgia Tech-Savannah campus is compliant under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any individual who requires accommodation for participation in any course offered by GTPE should contact us prior to the start of the course.
Courses that are part of certificate programs include a required assessment. Passing criteria is determined by the instructor and is provided to learners at the start of the course.
CEUs are awarded to participants who attend a minimum of 80% of the scheduled class time.
Georgia Tech’s Office of Research Security and Compliance requires citizenship information be maintained for those participating in most GTPE courses. Citizenship information is obtained directly from the learner at the time of registration and is maintained in the Georgia Tech Student System.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for complete details on the policies for course changes and cancellations.
Participants in GTPE courses are required to complete an online profile that meets the requirements of Georgia Tech Research Security. Information collected is maintained in the Georgia Tech Student System. The following data elements are considered directory information and are collected from each participant as part of the registration and profile setup process:
- Full legal name
- Email address
- Shipping address
- Company name
The following data elements, if in the Georgia Tech Student Systems, are considered sensitive information and are only available to Georgia Tech employees with a business need-to-know:
- Georgia Tech ID
- Date of birth
- Religious preferences
- Social security numbers
- Registration information
- Class schedules
- Attendance records
- Academic history
At any time, you can remove your consent to marketing emails as well as request to delete your personal data. Visit our GTPE EU GDPR page for more information.
Classes and events being held at the Georgia Tech Global Learning Center in Atlanta or Georgia Tech-Savannah campus may be impacted by closures or delays due to inclement weather.
The Georgia Tech Global Learning Center will follow the guidelines of Georgia Tech main campus in Atlanta. Students, guests, and instructors should check the Georgia Tech homepage for information regarding university closings or delayed openings due to inclement weather. Please be advised that if campus is closed for any reasons, all classroom courses are also canceled.
Students, guests, and instructors attending classes and events at Georgia Tech-Savannah should check the Georgia Tech-Savannah homepage for information regarding closings or delayed openings due to inclement weather.
GTPE certificates of program completion consist of a prescribed number of required and elective courses offered and completed at Georgia Tech within a consecutive six-year period. Exceptions, such as requests for substitutions or credit for prior education, can be requested through the petition form. Exceptions cannot be guaranteed.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for complete details on the policy for refunds.
Georgia Tech is a tobacco-free and smoke-free campus. The use of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, all forms of smokeless tobacco, and any other smoking devices that use tobacco are strictly prohibited. There are no designated smoking areas on campus.
Courses that are eligible for special discounts will be noted accordingly on the course page. Only one coupon code can be entered during the checkout process and cannot be redeemed after checkout is complete. If you have already registered and forgot to use your coupon code, you can request an eligible refund. GTPE will cancel any transaction where a coupon was misused or ineligible. If you are unsure if you can use your coupon code, please check with the course administrator.
GTPE does not have a program for senior citizens. However, Georgia Tech offers a 62 or Older Program for Georgia residents who are 62 or older and are interested in taking for credit courses. This program does not pay for noncredit professional education courses. Visit the Georgia Tech Undergraduate Admissions page for more information on the undergraduate program and Georgia Tech Graduate Admissions page for more information on the graduate program.
Full payment is due at time of registration. Accepted payment methods include:
- Credit cards
- Purchase orders (company and government)
- International wire payments*
- Georgia Tech Workday Number (for Georgia Tech employees only)
- Private loans*
- GI Bill benefits* (Eligible Atlanta campus courses only. Off-campus and online courses are not eligible for VA Benefits.)
- Company checks*
* Requires document upload or transaction verification during the checkout process.
Purchase order documents must include the following:
- Name of company and physical address
- Name of company’s financial contact and/or ap (accounts payable) email address
- Name of employee(s) approved for training
- Document number (SF-182 documents: Section C, Box 4)
- Billing address (SF-182 documents: Section C, Box 6)
- Course title and course dates
- Maximum disbursement amount (billing amount)
- Expiration date (if applicable)
- Authorized signature(s)
- Payment terms less than or equal to net 30
Please do not include social security numbers on purchase order documents.
- Make your check payable to “Georgia Institute of Technology” and include the order number and participant name on the face of the check.
- Choose “Company Purchase Order” as the payment method at checkout and upload a copy of your check to your order.
- Mail your check to:
Georgia Institute of Technology
Global Learning Center
84 5th St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30308-1031
Full payment is due at the time of registration.
Payment is due at the time of purchase. Invoice payments must adhere to the Board of Regent’s business terms of net 30.
Georgia Tech Employees
PeopleSoft payments are processed at the time of registration. Georgia Tech employees cannot use PCards for GTPE registration charges.
Additional fees vary by course. Be sure to review the Requirements & Materials tab on the course page for more information.
Yes. Here are the steps to receive an invoice:
- Complete a GTPE profile.
- Shop for a course.
- Add the course(s) to the cart.
- Print your cart and submit to your employer as the cost estimate.
- Receive a copy of your company’s Purchase Order or payment approval document for GTPE to invoice against.
- Return to your cart, proceed through checkout and upload our company PO in the final payment step.
- The GTPE Business Office will generate an invoice 10 days prior to the start of the course at which point you are no longer eligible to withdraw with fund.
Your company must:
- Abide by the Georgia Tech and Board of Regent’s business terms of net 30.
- Pay the full balance of a Georgia Tech invoice (there are no discounts for payments made early or on time).
- Pay the invoice if the employee fails to withdraw during the refund period and does not attend the course.
Credit card refunds are processed to the original credit card. The credit card issuer is responsible for refund credit balances to the cardholder.
We do not offer payment plans for any of our services, conferences, or courses. Payment must be made in full at time of purchase.
GTPE cannot issue 1098-T tax forms. If you have a payment history need for tax purposes, we are happy to provide you with receipts of payment. Please submit your requires to email@example.com. Be sure to include your full legal name and Georgia Tech ID which can be found within your GTPE profile.
Designed for an online audience, MOOCs are available to anyone with an internet connection and are free to enroll. Some MOOCs can be started any time – others at regular intervals – and range in length from a few weeks to a few months to complete. You’ll have access to a wide range of online media and interactive tools, including video lectures, class exercises, discussions, and assessments.
Anyone with an internet connection can enroll. Sme courses may be unavailable in a small number of countries because of trade restrictions or government policies.
Most courses are free, though there is a small fee if you opt to work towards a certificate of completion. Some courses count toward university credit—and some, like our online master’s program in computer science, offer a full degree. These credit-bearing courses do have fees and applications associated with them.
Yes, Georgia Tech offers CEUs for some completed MOOC courses taken through Coursera and edX. You have the option of purchasing CEUs after earning a verified course certificate.
A digital badge is an acknowledgement that you've successfully completed a MOOC course. You can display your digital badge on your online profiles so that colleagues and employers can see your achievements at a glance.
You can earn CEUs, digital badges, and verified certificates of completion. You can also use MOOCs as an alternate pathway to enter Georgia Tech master's programs through The Analytics: Essential Tools and Methods MicroMasters and the Online Master's in Computer Science.
Certificates of completion are issued by the online providers edX, Coursera, and Udacity. Although they are a great way to showcase your skills, they are not the same as official academic credit from Georgia Tech. However, if you purchase CEUs (which are denoted by a badge), then you can request an official GTPE transcript for free.
TRAIN AT YOUR LOCATION
We enable employers to provide specialized, on-location training on their own timetables. Our world-renowned experts can create unique content that meets your employees' specific needs. We also have the ability to deliver courses via web conferencing or on-demand online videos. For 15 or more students, it is more cost-effective for us to come to you.
Earn a Certificate