Professional Education Course
CIVE 3005: Wood Design
There are no sections available for registration to this course at this time. If you want to request an offering of this course, please contact us.
Important Course Information
The instruction is self-paced, but must be completed within 6 weeks of the registration date.
This is an online course that will cover the basics of design for wood members in structures. It will be based on the National Design Specification for Wood Structures 2005 Edition (NDS) and uses the ASD method of design. Also addressed in the course will be the design of plywood diaphragms and shearwalls as well as Glu-Laminated members.
What Is Covered
- Apply NDS Specifications for Wood Member Designs
- Design Glu-Laminated Members
- Learn Connector Design for Wood Members
- Analyze and Design Plywood (OSB) Diaphragms and Shearwalls
All students are required to have the following:
- Copy of Course Textbook and Specifications
- Personal computer: minimum Pentium 4, 2.66GHz processor with 0.5Gb of RAM and 1 Gb of free disk space
- Windows XP, Vista operating systems
- Video resolution of 1024 x768 recommended, 32-bit color
- Internet connection at DSL or Cable speeds
- Windows compatible sound card
- Internet Browser: most recent version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla
- Windows Media Player 9, 10, or 11
The following topics will be covered within the module structure:
- Computation of Basic Stresses and Adjustment Factors
- Beam design - Laterally Braced and Unbraced
- Shear Design
- Notch Effects
- Tension and Compression Member Design with and without Bending
- Connector Design - Nails, Bolts, Screws, etc.
- Plywood Design - Shearwalls and Diaphragms
- Glu- Laminated Member Design