Professional Education Course
Project Management Introduction: Fundamentals to Successful Projects
|Registration Deadline||Section Dates||Format & Location||CEUs||Fee||Status|
|Jun 11, 2013 (Tue)||Jun 11, 2013 (Tue) - Jun 12, 2013 (Wed)||Savannah (Georgia Tech Savannah) (this is an onsite course)||1.4||$1,050||OPEN|
Project success depends upon following a consistent and repeatable structured approach. This course introduces you to the principles and practices of disciplined project management. Class discussion and group exercises present best practices from both the PMI Framework but also from the world of hard knocks. Gain a comprehensive overview of the skills, knowledge and tools needed to effectively manage projects. Learn all nine areas and five process groups of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) established by the Project Management Institute as the industry standard for project management instruction. Start your preparation for the PMP Exam with this course.
NOTE: This course replaces COMP 6100P. Any students who have already taken this course will have met the requirement for COMP 6300P and its requirement toward the Project Management Certificate.
Who Should Attend
- Project managers that must be able to complete projects on time and on budget, without sacrificing project quality.
- Professionals preparing to transition into a new career in project management.
- Professionals without formal training, charged with managing large, complex projects or smaller, more tactical projects
- Seasoned project managers interested in refreshing their skills while earning PMI-Approved PDUs.
- Business Analysts working with Project Managers and Project Teams in challenging environments
- Project Managers
- Business Analysts
- Technical Team Leaders
How You Will Benefit
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Establish clear expectations to avoid later project failures
- Identify the successful components of a project plan
- Employ specific planning tools to establish and manage expectations
- Develop an effective schedule for your team and for stakeholders
- Identify, analyze, and prioritize response strategies for project risks
- Anticipate and manage the special challenges of projects
- Recognize real-world constraints and the dynamics in a project environment
- Determine the critical path for a project from its network diagram
- Communicate project progress through project variances and corrective action plans
- Earn 1.4 CEUs
What Is Covered
- Benefits of a Structured Approach
- Starting Projects on the Right Foot
- Project Planning
- Developing the WBS
- Managing Risks
- Developing an Effective Schedule
- Resource Allocation
- Completing the Plan
- Monitoring and Controlling the Project
- Taking Corrective Action
- Closing the Project
Attendees will each receive copies of the lecture slides and notes, exercises, and tools.
This course is:
- a requirement for the Project Management Certificate.