Professional Education Course
Integrated Grounding System Design and Testing
Get comprehensive coverage of grounding system design procedures for safety and lightning shielding. Start with a simplified coverage of the basic principles in grounding design, followed by a step-by-step design procedure.
Explore soil characterization, including soil testing methods, data interpretation, and a workshop. Discuss modeling requirements and data preparation procedures for substation ground system design and lightning shielding. Discuss practical examples and see demonstrations of design procedures with three examples of realistic systems: (a) a generation substation; (b) a transmission substation; (c) a distribution substation.
Investigate options for controlling ground potential rise, touch, and step voltages. Quantify the influence of grounding systems on nearby pipes, fences, buildings, etc., with the use of the WinIGS program. Discuss design procedures to limit transfer voltages to safe levels. Design the lightning shielding system for these substations to minimize the risk from lightning overvoltages.
Who Should Attend
- Electric power utility engineers involved in substation design, testing, and design of grounding systems
- Engineers engaged in the design and testing of power systems for commercial and industrial installations
How You Will Benefit
- Explore fundamental principles of grounding system design, the IEEE Std. 80 (new 2000 edition), IEC-479-1, analysis and design for special points of danger, industry practices in substation ground system design, electromagnetic interference, substation lightning shielding methods, and ground testing methods.
- Examine course examples that enhance the understanding of the phenomena that determine safety near electrical installations, shielding of electrical installations, and Hi-F grounding.
- See design procedures with three examples of realistic systems in action demonstrations using visualizations with the Integrated Grounding System Design (WinIGS) program and the Smart Ground Multimeter software (WinSGM).
What Is Covered
Grounding System Design Principles
Grounding System Performance
IEEE Std. 80 Design Procedure
System Modeling for Grounding Design
Ground Mat Design for Safety
Integrated Grounding System Design
Substation Lightning Shielding
Ground Design for Lightning
Ground Impedance Measurements
Grounding System Testing and Evaluation
Demonstration and Workshop
- Class notes
- SGM Operating Manual
- $100 -- Power System Grounding and Transients by A. P. "Sakis" Meliopoulos, second printing (Marcel Dekker Inc., 1988) -- Please be sure to add this to your registration if you would like to purchase a copy.
- IEEE Std. 80, IEEE Guide for Safety in AC Substation Grounding, 2000 edition. -- Purchase directly from IEEE.
- IEEE Std. 81, IEEE Guide for Measuring Earth Resistivity, Ground Impedance and Earth Surface Potentials of a Ground System. -- Purchase directly from IEEE.
This course is:
- a requirement for the Power Systems Engineering Certificate.